Advise asap pls! Wood worktop - flush inset or undermount

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a decision before tomorrow am and I would be v. grateful for the advice of the experts (or others) on the forum!

I have a newlly installed walnut wooden worktop. I understand these are prone to water damage if not cared for properly.

I have purchased this sink http://www.wickes.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Medium-Bowl-Flush-Inset/invt/197623

The literature says it can be installed as a flush inset sink (it would then have a small lip sitting into the wood worktop) or it can be undermounted. My uneducated view is that the worktop would be less prone to water damage if the sink is installed as a flush inset (thereby covering the cut-outs made to house the sink). Unfortunately, due to lack of communication with kitchen fitter (who refuses to show up before I have left for work in the mornings and leaves before I return home), the sink is now been installed as an undermount.

Fitter is willing to re-install sink as flush inset. However, he says that worktop will be more prone to water damage than if installed as an undermount. He says that the sink wont be flush because there are no clamps to fit it and therefore it can only be siliconed into place. He is saying that where the worktop top meets the siliconed sink lip (which will be slightly raised), the wood is likely to rot. I can't tell if he is just saying that because he doesn't want to reinstall the sink or if it is actually true.

Would really appreciate thoughts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back