Advise on gutter being too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a persistent leak where a half pipe (112mm) meets the connecting union to the next pipe or at the downpipe outlet. The half pipe isn't quite long enough as the builder seems to have set the down pipe union and pipe connecting union slightly too far apart. As it expands / contracts, the pipe seems to "walk" one way or other and eventually one end will come out of the seal and start leaking. The half pipe is already 4m long so I can't just replace it with a longer piece as I believe this is the longest available.

The options I've thought of are .................

1) Put a screw through the pipe into the union at one end to try and stop it "walking". It could still expand /contract in one direction.
2) Cut the 4m pipe in half and extend it an inch or two by putting in another connecting union
3) Extend the existing half pipe by an inch or so at one end by layering a short bit of half pipe inside it and using PVC Weld to make it permanent.

Any advise or other options would be welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I suppose it makes sense to cut the pipe and use another union even though it’s probably only for a couple of cm.

Sponsored Links
Make it a decent length by cutting the existing back say by a metre and using some new unions. I am sure you will get a better result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back