Advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not to bad a decorating but i will admit that i am crap at cutting in, so as we had a bed room to be decorated with two strong colours i decided to get a local painter, i had all the prep work done on the walls and new woodwork,
so all he had to do was give the walls three coats of emulsion and gloss all the woodwork , but whenever i looked over the woodwork there are some runs on the skirting boards and the door, he has agreeded to fix it,
but i have asked him to repaint the exterior of my house but after seeing the runs i am not so sure, would you let him paint yours?

Sponsored Links
Everyone is entitled to a 'bad day at the office' and if he sorts the problem to your satisfaction (the mark of a good workman), then there is no reason not to give him a second chance.
Having said that, I personally, would check to see if anyone else has had bad experiences with him and decide from there.
A good decorator will always double check for runs before packing up. I certainly do, and even check again after. Always been a bit fussy though! ;)

A pro/good deccie may get one or two runs here and there and like misterhelpul says he'll chase them up, its poor practice to not look over your work when you've finished it and this lack of professionalism would be enough for me to not have him back. The only thing that muddies it is the fact you did the prep. I hate it when customers do that as my idea of good prep and theirs are two different things

Sponsored Links
I agree with you that would not have him back today i made up my mind to that effect, i know what you are saying about the prep work but all the prep work was done by the book and was perfect, the painter also commented on how well it was done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back