Best way to go about getting long lasting white finish w/wrk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to help a friend decorate his house for him in the next couple of weeks.

He moved in about 18 months ago and I installed all new woodwork and left him to paint it all. He used a combination of all sorts of differnt gloss, one coat, quickdrying, no runs etc and now it's really yellowed and needs re doing.

What will give the longest lasting white finish? two coats of satinwood or a coat of undercoat followed by a coat of gloss? or would it even need two coats of gloss?

Usually use Dulux trade but if there is a better product I'll use anything recommended.

Sponsored Links
Give it a light rub down with some wet and dry and a coat of crown solo brilliant white gloss. When the which magazine tested all the gloss paints in July 2010 crown solo was found to be the least likely to yellow.

Used some crown solo on a rental tosh a few weeks ago, went back to do some touching up and was yellowing already.
Only thing at the moment that can guarantee non-yellowing is water based paints, plenty of info on here about them in various posts.

I've not had any yellowing problems with solo.

Sponsored Links
dulux trade oil based, albany oil based.

only two ive used, or ever will.

I'm currently working in a house I last did some work at six months ago and the solo I used back then is still nice and white.

Well i can only report what i saw but the touch ups were 'whiter', could be that once dry it settles if you know what i mean.
Dulux trade is one of the worst but don't know about the blue lid as i refuse to use dulux now point black, shame cos it used to be so good.
As i said the only way you'll get long lasting white is to use the water based.

Well i can only report what i saw but the touch ups were 'whiter', could be that once dry it settles if you know what i mean.
Dulux trade is one of the worst but don't know about the blue lid as i refuse to use dulux now point black, shame cos it used to be so good.
As i said the only way you'll get long lasting white is to use the water based.

I could'nt agree more, what keeps an oil based system white is natural light (uv)
thats why an exterior white gloss will hold both it's shine and brightness far longer than an interior system.

A room that accepts a great deal of natural light will cause an oil based system to retain it's whiteness and a smaller gloomy room will cause it to very quickly become dull and yellow.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back