Getting gloss to stay white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after some advice, please.

I have been painting our fresh woodwork with Leyland primer/undercoat then Dulux white gloss - unfortunately I didn’t check yellowing issues prior to starting the work. We’re at the start of re-decorating the entire house and want to get things right now and avoid doing work again when carpets have been changed etc.

We really want a white finish so alternative colours aren’t an option – I also don’t want to use Crown Solo (suggested elsewhere) through fear of that yellowing too.

One method suggested was to use Zinsser BIN to all PAINTED and UN-PAINTED wood, then use the Leyland primer/undercoat then use Dulux Quick Dry gloss (water based?).

Is this a method anyone can recommend/say not to follow? The ultimate objective is to keep my gloss finish looking white – how do I do this?

Sponsored Links
You can apply a waterbased gloss as these do not yellow. Johnstones aqua is fairly good but remember to apply using a decent synthetic brush. No need to use BIN just knot and prime bare wood with an acrylic primer then sand and undercoat using a acrylic undercoat (I tend to use dulux acrylic primer/undercoat). You want the undercoat to look solid before applying the waterbased gloss.

good luck ;)

I agree. If you want a tough finish (kids, dogs, etc), then Dulux Diamond water-based satinwood is also good. Otherwise I'd go for the Johnstone's.

Do you especially want a high gloss finish?

I don't want white or gloss but that's a whole story in itself!

I've come to terms with having a white finish and just need to know what to do fron here with the already glossed wood.

Should I prime/undercoat it all from fresh? Then a top coat of quick dry gloss/something else?

Sponsored Links
I don't want white or gloss but that's a whole story in itself!

I've come to terms with having a white finish and just need to know what to do fron here with the already glossed wood.

Should I prime/undercoat it all from fresh? Then a top coat of quick dry gloss/something else?

What condition is the woodwork in?

We replaced the door frames, architrave and skirting - the handrails, newell posts and banisters are existing but sanded thoroughly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back