Skirting, how to go from dark primer/undercoat to gloss white?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently, my skirting has been painted in dark grey using

1. Zinsser Bin (grey tinted)
2. Dulux oil based undercoat (grey)

I would like the skirting to go from dark grey to a water based gloss white finish (e.g. Zinsser Perma White) What is the easiest way to do this?

What products should I use?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
White undercoat, then gloss.
Don't forget to sand it first.
I just edited my original post, because I just remembered that if I use an oil based gloss top coat this will yellow over time.

So I plan to use a water based top coat such as Zinsser Perma-white.

Can I still use a white undercoat (oil) and then Perma-white (water based)?

Alternatively, could I use Zinsser Cover Stain (oil based) and then Zinsser Perma-white?

Apparently, no sanding is required with Zinsser Cover Stain, which is a plus.

Use a water based undercoat and water based gloss.
Give it a fine sand before undercoat and before last coat of gloss for a perfect finish.

Sponsored Links
Water based paints are pants at obliterating dark colours.

Two coats of something like Dulux Trade white oil based undercoat should suffice but you will need to wait a few days before you can use the waterbased gloss.

If you gloss too soon, the solvents in the undercoat will cause "fisheyes" in the gloss.

Alternatively, you could use BIN again. It is slightly creamy in colour, and in my opinion, almost impossible to get a decent finish when applied by brush.

The whole "no need to sand" is marketing BS. I use Zinsser products and recommend them but have also seen Zinsser paints applied by other decorators that chipped off because they couldn't be bothered to sand (key) the surface beforehand.

Apply as many coats of white undercoat until you get a solid white colour, then one coat of white gloss.

My painter used Zinsser on mahogany wood on my stairway without sanding then painted with white satinwood. That was about 5 years ago and the mahogany hasn’t come through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back