Is the recent Dulux problem white gloss only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im away to start the woodwork in my house and the paint of choice is Dulux Satin Wood in a dark brown colour.

I have read several posts about the white gloss yellowing problem.

Is this issue only on the white gloss paint?

Should I be ok with the brown satin wood?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be fine. The darker the colour, the less of an issue.

But are you sure you really want to paint your woodwork dark brown? It can have a very depressing effect. If you're desperate for dark brown, why not paint a wall or two in that colour and keep the woodwork light?

Otherwise you may end up thinking you are in a 1950s psychiatric institution.

The thought for brown is:

One of the previous owners painted all the original woodwork which is gutting. The house has been badly 'updated' through the years, its nearly 100 year old. We have put a lot of timber back in, kitchen, doors etc

Theres so much to do in the house stripping the paint is just not an option. The dark brown will contrast with the wood we are adding.

Ive been emulsioning all the walls with Craig & Rose light bright colours. So far it looks good.

The only depressing thing is tomorrow is Monday!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Random thoughts...

But virtually ANY colour except 'wood colour' will contrast with the new timber you're putting in.

The original woodwork probably would have been painted originally anyway, not left bare/waxed. That fashion only came in in the 1970s/80s. Prior to that most people would have considered bare wood doors/skirting/window frames/floorboards a sign of poverty.

In the end - it's up to you! But don't forget that what might look cool in May and June might start to look a bit gloomy in winter...

Im from the north east of Scotland it wouldnt do to be hyper were all sad up here and suffer from a lack of Vitamin D!

Does anyone make a paint that emits vitamin D!

I started using Dulux trade Satin Diamond finish water based on the woodwork in my hall. We sanded and primed prior to putting this on over old paint. It became tacky within minutes making it difficult to blend from dry to wet paint. This is not a paint to use on top of other paint regardless of how well the old paintwork is prepared. I abandoned painting and will wait for it to dry, sand, prime and start again with another product. I have painted for years and never come across this issue. I have new wood in areas and will try the paint again in a discreet area, but what a mess it has made!

I started using Dulux trade Satin Diamond finish water based on the woodwork in my hall. We sanded and primed prior to putting this on over old paint. It became tacky within minutes making it difficult to blend from dry to wet paint. This is not a paint to use on top of other paint regardless of how well the old paintwork is prepared. I abandoned painting and will wait for it to dry, sand, prime and start again with another product. I have painted for years and never come across this issue. I have new wood in areas and will try the paint again in a discreet area, but what a mess it has made!

I am not a fan of water based coats, but if you use something like Floetrol, it will help the paint to flow.

Heating on?
That's when paint starts grinning.
Water based requires a very quick hand anyway.

The dulux diamond satin is a strange one to work with but once you use it a few times you get used to the flow and I've found the finish great as have all my customers. Expensive stuff though. Rollered doors look amazing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back