advise regards assembling shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quick question i am current puting a shed together which i bought from wickes. the side panels join to the front and end panels with screws. i normally would drill a pilot hole thru both peices totaling the length of the screw. is pilot holing the way i do nessesary in this situation as i have to drill thru one batten (frame of one panel) and mark the other panel then move it away as drill bit not long enough to go thru and leave the required length whilst both peices together. doing it seems really awkard as i would have to do then 12 times (3 per side) and plus have to try and line the screws in the holes makes it even more difficult. finally once all the walls in place i need to fix to floor bearers which means drilling marking lifting off the floor drill into floor bearers and place back whilst alighning screws!!!!!!!!!!! i must be doing something wrong please any advise much appreaciated thanks

Sponsored Links
depends on the timber and the screws
cheap timber cheap screws may split or break
in general you shouldnt have to pilot

just a quick question

firstly, no !! that wasn't a quick question! ;)

But to try and dissect your essay... you sound like you can't be bothered... any job is better if you do it well.... pilot holes are great... driving a screw through a 45mm piece of timber into another 45mm piece of timber needs a piolt hole... the only work the screw needs to do is grip the attached timber....Driving unnecessarily through such big timber is wrong.. it could split !!

thanks all job is complete now, in the end i disassembled everything i did on saturday and started early sunday morning. first filled all screw holes in the second timber (end panels) with cocktail sticks tapped in with hammer and trimed with pincers. i did this because im starting from begining and i didnt want the new holes comming next to the old holes. this time round i only piloted the first timber and not the second peice. in all the job felt alot more satisfying and organised. i suppose it also makes it hard as i painted every panel inside and outside and edges pror installation so some panels were bowed. but luckily me and mrs got it to fit ok.

Sponsored Links
just a quick question

firstly, no !! that wasn't a quick question! ;)

But to try and dissect your essay... you sound like you can't be bothered... any job is better if you do it well.... pilot holes are great... driving a screw through a 45mm piece of timber into another 45mm piece of timber needs a piolt hole... the only work the screw needs to do is grip the attached timber....Driving unnecessarily through such big timber is wrong.. it could split !!

Also don't forget it's a shed from wickes so one gust of wind and it will be in the nextdoors garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back