AEG Double Oven - bottom oven not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old AEG built-under double oven. It is at least 15 years old, probably nore like 20 plus. We've been in the house for just over 26 years and we put the oven in - but it is so long ago that neither my wife nor I can remember when we bought it.

It is an AEG Competence model 5212BU-w (presumably the 'w' means 'white').

It has a top oven (the smaller of the two) which has a fan and a grill (both work).

It has a larger main oven with fan which isn't working - neither fan nor element. The fan controls (which are separate) for the bottom oven light up but the oven temperature control which normally lights up - don't.

So - some questions.

(1) what is the likely fault - a 'blown' element perhaps? Given that the control doesn't illuminate is it an internal fuse?

(2) if it is a 'blown' element, is this easy to replace (I replaced a heating element in my daughter's Hotpoint oven a year ago and it was a simple unscrew the element, disconnect the power leads, attach leads to replacement element and screw the new element in - less than £10 to fix). Is this likely to be similar?

(3) i'm not sure whether the element I can see at the top of this oven is the only heating element - either way, the bottom oven isn't heating up.

(4) I can't find and installation instructions or manual on-line so can't find out the part number of the element (if that's what has failed).

This oven has the controls on the side so that both the top oven and bottom oven can be taller. The top oven is narrower as a consequence whereas the bottom oven is full width. Modern ovens have the controls along the top, meaning that both ovens are less high (although both are full-width), Nobody seems to make ovens with side controls any more - unless you know of any.

Just a thought ...

Cound it be a thermostat or a temperature switch of some sort?

Any help gladly received.

Dave

UPDATE: I've managed to find the manual on-line (took some finding)

UPDATE 2: It was the timer!!!

We've recently taken to turning the oven off at the main switch (in an effort to save the odd few pence per year in all liklihood!) Turns out that when the oven is turned on at the wall (or comes on after a power cut) the timer (or timer/alarm) is active (and the main oven won't work). Cancelling the flashing timer allows the main oven to function manually again.

In the past, when we've had a power cut, we've re-set the clock and cancelled the timer/alarm.

The clue was that the top oven - which isn't controlled by the timer - was unaffected!

Simple things eh?

Anyway, we now have the manual for the oven.

Dave

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back