AEG Lavamat 72630-W washing machine problem

Reaction score
Country
Iceland
Hi guys,
Suddenly our Lavamat 72630-W has stopped working. On some programs it continues for a few minutes and then stops, if I select "spin" or "short spin" it takes in water and counts down 1 to 3 minutes and nothing more.
To empty the machine I have to select "pump out" and it pumps the water out.
Seems like it cant go the the spin-part of the programs..

I´ve read a few posts about these machines, two of the problems I read about were fixed by cleaning the main circuit board so I´ve done that. Nothing changed.

I´ve also read about error codes, the screen on mine is not showing an error.

Hope someone here is familiar with this kind of problem and how to troubleshoot, I´m not going to give up on this yet!

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with your particular machine , but are you saying the drum does not turn at all ? Or it does sometimes ?

It does not turn at all, but still counts down few minutes of each program where usually it should have been turning. It does not want to turn slow were it should and not "spin" either.

Have you checked the drive belt is intact ,and the carbon brushes in the motor have not worn to the point of in need of replacement ?

Sponsored Links
the belt was in place and looks good, took out the motor and removed the brushes. One brush looks too worn to work, will be making some calls tomorrow morning to try and locate new ones here in Iceland.
Thanks for the help, I hope this is all that was bothering our little washing machine :)

Brushes don't wear down to nothing ,just get to the point where the spring pushes them as far as it can and they no longer make proper contact. Good luck with it .

Thanks again, the washing machine is back to normal for approx 10% of the cost of a new one and was out of service for less than 2 days :)

So you replaced the brushes for new elfard ? Good on ya !!!!

Hi guys,
Suddenly our Lavamat 72630-W has stopped working. On some programs it continues for a few minutes and then stops, if I select "spin" or "short spin" it takes in water and counts down 1 to 3 minutes and nothing more.
To empty the machine I have to select "pump out" and it pumps the water out.
Seems like it cant go the the spin-part of the programs..

I´ve read a few posts about these machines, two of the problems I read about were fixed by cleaning the main circuit board so I´ve done that. Nothing changed.

I´ve also read about error codes, the screen on mine is not showing an error.

Hope someone here is familiar with this kind of problem and how to troubleshoot, I´m not going to give up on this yet!
Hi
I may be a little late with this reply but the 72630 seems to have a common motor problem. The field winding on the motor develops an electrical leak to ground (it's case) AEG probably subcontracted the motor manufacturer out and they skimped on insulation to save money.
This leak gets detected by the controller during its normal washing cycle and the controller just stops. I took the back off my machine and just detached the single earth lead from the motor and insulated it. The washing machine now performs perfectly.
I can't recommend this action as technically it is changing the machine's safety design, but the motor metal casing is only connected to the outer compound non metal plastic casing of the drum and cannot be accessed in normal use by the operator. The outer drum is a plastic type material so is non conductive and the motor drive pulley uses a rubber belt to drive the drum so technically the motor metal case is fully insulated from the rest of the machine. The washing machine's metal inner drum is safely earthed by a lead connecting to the bearing housing. The washing machine cabinet itself is fully earthed.
This motor winding fault throws up the scr controller fault alarm but the controller is fine. I only worked this out because after over a year of restarting an intermittent machine it died completely and gave me the chance to fault find on it. Incidentally an AEG repair man had just been out the day before and condemned it as a controller fault. I recon dozens of machines have been wrongly scrapped because of this motor peculiarity.
Best of luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back