Aerial amplifier shenanigans.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a TV in my kitchen which will only work if the TV in my lounge is switched on.

I have just replaced the Aerial, as I hadn't realised why it would some times work and sometimes not ( I have just discovered this) and thought a week signal could be to blame

My roof mounted aerial goes to a four way amplifier in the loft, and I suspect this may be at fault?
I had it professionally installed a couple of years ago, and all I can say about it is the aerial lead seems to go into the right place, and four coax cables come out of it.

It's a new LG TV in the kitchen, and the signal strength icon shows full strength when the lounge TV is on, and 'No signal' when its off.

The lounge TV is a Samsung smart TV, and is unaffected by the kitchen one.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is there a small box with a mains lead in the aerial lead to the TV in the lounge ?

If there is then the aerial amplifier is fed with power that is going up on the aerial cable from the box in the lounge. TV signal comes down, power goes up the same cable.

OR the TV may provide the power for the aerial amplifier.

Is there a mains supply to the amplifier in the loft ? If not then the power for the amplifier is coming up the aerial cable

Thanks for the reply,
There is no mains power supply to the amplifier in the loft.
I will have a look tomorrow to see where the power supply is.
I think you may be on to something there.

Sponsored Links
You were right, bernardgreen, The lounge TV has the power supply to the amplifier, this was plugged into an 'energy saving' socket, so when the TV powered down, it switched off the supply (I wouldn't mind, but it was me who set this up, I had forgotten all about it!)

Thanks for the help, an easy fix in the end :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back