Aerial Splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have powered aerial box in my loft space. This takes the aerial from the roof. From this there are two other TVs which are 'powered by this aerial splitter - it works fine with 2, its only when i increase the number to 3 that it gets a bit iffy.

How many TVs should one be able to power with a powered splitter box? I would have thought that it could manage more than two to be honest, three would be awesome.

Anyway, my roof aerial got knocked over in a recent storm. The one that i have is a 48 element 13db gain one. I was thinking about getting a more powerful one (a 16.5db one).

WOuld it make a difference and allow me to connect 3 tvs?

Sponsored Links
I though splitters were, 2.3.5 etc so if you have a 2, using it on 3 TV's you would expect inferior signal.
Any way..SamGanges will be along soon. He is the tv guru

I think that my splitter has 6 (maybe:cool: outputs, a high and low for each one. So maybe it should power 3 or 4 but certainly more than 2

Sponsored Links
Any aerial distribution amp should be able to cope with all its outputs connected to TVs. The only exception is the 'Full Output' connection which (if fitted) is designed for connecting to a second distribution amp and not a TV.

The purpose of being amplified is to compensate for the effect of splitting and give a small lift to the signal level.

As for the aerial, I worry about unspecified "high gain" aerials going up on roofs or in lofts. So much of what's sold retail is just plain crap dressed up as something special. Also, all 'wide band high-gain' aerials are only high-gain at the top end of the frequency spectrum. At the mid and lower end of the spectrum they're actually quite poor. That's okay if the local TV transmitter is broadcasting all its channels at the top end of the frequency spectrum too. But if your TV picks up most of its channels at the bottom end of the tuning range then a wide band high-gain aerial is a poor choice.

Follow Sam's advice. Give us your postcode or go on to the Wolfbane site and enter your post code there. It will tell you which you local transmitter is. The trick then is to match the aerial type to the transmitter, but keep an eye on what's planned in the future too. They're still messing round with channel allocations.

My Postcode is TW15 1AD
Not too sure how to read wolfsbane
Looks like i have 3 at 16 miles and another at 12 miles but have no idea which one would be best. Currently its pointed at Crystal Palace which i assume is the best one to point at which says i need a log periodic aerial which i have but have difficulty get more that 2 tvs working at the same time (need at least 3). My amp can power enough tvs.
I think i currently have a lab gear high gain 48 element aerial with 13dbi gain

Any ideas what to get? It really needs replacing because a few of the elements are missing from when we had a storm ages back, bracket has broken so its not pointing the right way. When i tried to connect more than 2 tvs before was before the storm so either the aerial wasn't up to it or something else. If this is the correct aerial, i will just lash it to chimney and keep using it as its not the end of the world to only have 2 working but would like to use the cable i installed for what it was intended :)

Crystal Palace is one of the UK's most powerful transmitters. You're 16 miles away. The Field dBuV gives a rough prediction of the kind of strength you should be able to pick up on the aerial without any amplification. 67dBuV is huge.

Unless your building is completely shadowed by surrounding buildings or trees, or your aerial is in a completely daft place such as pointing directly at the roof then there's very little justification to say that you need a higher gain aerial.

Further to that, the channel spread from the transmitter is all at the bottom end of the frequency spectrum. The UHF channel range runs from 21 to 60. Look at what Wolfbane shows you: 23, 26, 25, 30, 22, 28; all in the bottom half of the channel range. All in the place where high-gain wide band aerials work crap. Ergo, DO NOT buy a wide band high-gain aerial.

If you have a Log Periodic aerial but it is broken some how then replace it for another Log. That's the best choice for where you live. The aerial's response curve (which shows how effective it is at picking up TV transmissions vs frequency) means that it is the best choice for your area.

Make sure it is aligned properly. The boom should be fixed so that the little rods lay horizontal to the ground. This is what it means when Wolfbane says "Pol H"

Next, get it pointing in the right direction. That's the "Bearing Degrees" bit.

Replace the aerial downlead while you're doing the job. The cost is minimal. Don't waste your time and money saving a few pennies on cheap cable. If it doesn't have Webro WF100 written on the cable jacket then don't buy it. It's really that simple.

Fit the cable connectors properly... no half arsed job here please. No stray filaments touching the centre conduct. No spiders legs hanging out of the back of the F connectors.

As for the amplified splitter.... Unless the TV coax from the loft to the rooms is ancient "low loss" coax then with the amount of power your aerial is picking up you should have absolutely tonnes of signal to play with. A good passive splitter (i.e. not amplified) should be enough to feed all your TVs.

Put it another way, I live over 30 miles away from a TV transmitter that's only half as powerful as Crystal Palace. The aerial on my roof is also a Log Periodic. There's no amplification. Wolfbane says my Field Strength should be around 47dBuV, so that's quite a bit less than yours. I have enough signal to get 100% quality even after passive splitting it to two TVs.

Your problem might actually be too much signal.

Crazy as this might sound, once one has ruled out stupid mistakes like bad wiring, broken devices, crappy cable, nails through wires shorting out the conductor to earth etc etc then you start to look at the more exotic areas for answers. One is termination. Some amplified splitters work more effectively when the outputs are terminated. What that means in plain English is that an output socket left open with nothing connected to it can actually reduce the effectiveness of the amp. A TV is a 75 Ohm termination. By connecting a third TV you add another 75 Ohm termination on the amp. It stops the signals bouncing around. That might conceivably be enough to tip the signal level over the top of what the TVs need. So you might have too much signal rather than too little.

Look on this page http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15a.htm#variable for 'MA1620 Adjustable 0-20dB attenuator, coaxial connector version' You put these on the back of each TV. Turn it down so that you get the best signal QUALITY which is far more important than signal level.

If you're DIYing then a variable attenuator is just a great tool to have around for diagnostics.

If you still feel that the amplified splitter is a problem then cut your losses and replace it.

So, to recap, the correct type of aerial aligned properly, connected with some decent coax and correctly made connections and then a little attention to detail about signal quality. Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back