After thermocouple change pilot light won't stay lit

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice, especially you Kev. Would it be prudent to get another thermocouple especially for the Glowworm boiler?

wouldnt be a bad idea

try joining the wires to the overheat stat and see if the pilot stays on

if it does its the stat

DONT TRY AND RUN THE BOILER LIKE THIS

Sorry but how do i do that. Do I connect the two wires to a plastic connector or something?

Sponsored Links
for everyones sake STOP NOW you may cause an accident and call a competent person to advise/repair your boiler you are playing with devices that are safety related :!:

1) Turn the power off first in case you're messing with the wrong wires.

2) Make absolutely sure you can get everything back where it came from.

3) If the two wires from the stat have bare ends, join them with chocolate block.

4) If they have push on connectors you'll have to improvise something but INSULATE IT before you put the power back on.

5) Try to light your boiler. Does it work? Yes - you either figure out how to reset that stat or you get a new one. No - it's not the stat.

7) Turn the power off again and put everything back EXACTLY WHERE IT CAME FROM.

For the pilot to stay on, a small valve inside the main gas valve has to be kept open. You hold it open at first but when you let go the job falls to a tiny electromagnet. This magnet is driven by the voltage from the thermocouple, nothing else.

There are lots of reasons why this system might fail, eg insufficient volts from thermocouple (wrong type, not hot enough), too much resistance in the circuit (bad connection, faulty stat, wires too long) or a faulty gas valve. Let's hope it's not the gas valve!

Hi,

Once again thanks for all your advice. I will leave it for now as I have other things to do.

Thanks again.

Can see this man blowing himself and his kids to kingdom come. I assume all you good guys will be able to sleep at night when this happens. It is evident from his post that the chap know nothing about circuitry.
Blind man driving a car on M1 come to mind.

You must be competent to work with gas. If ignited when it shouldn't be is very dangerous.
1109455300_msfart_e0.gif

14 yrs no money to pay a fitter not been serviced since dont know when ?????????? this could be a rusty wreck
case seals leaking ( who knows) death not far away why r u helping him to kill himself he seems to be doing a good job on his own

BANZAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Who was it that used to shout that ? ah yes Kamikazess

phone any gas company and tell them your skint and can u pay them in 5 instalments dont try to do your own work when u dont know how to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back