AGA saga: hot water leak and blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The AGA was not heating the water in the indirect hot water cyl (which I replaced on Wednesday), the feed pipe was barely warm.

The AGA engineer suggested tieing the CWS tank ball valve up to see if there was a leak on the HW side which would explain why the AGA would not heat the hot water.

So I tied the CWS tank BV out of the way at 1130 today, by 1630 the CWS tank was empty, so this is why the AGA does not heat the water.

So I untied the BV and let the CWS tank refill to then look for leaks.

But when I refilled the CWS tank there is a feeble amount of pressure at the hot water tap or shower, which was not a problem before. I am pretty sure the HW cyl is full.

So I reckon there is a partial blockage somewhere on the pipes between the HW cyl and the taps, but no idea about the leak.

There is a new Mira shower valve which does not leak and a Franke mixer tap in the kitchen, the washing machine is cold feed only. so I am mystified as to where the leak is.

I may have dislodged some scale whilst soldering pipework for the HW cyl which has caused the blockage?

Buggered if I know what to do next

Thought about tracing the pipe routings and err I am not sure what next.
Lifting floor boards to look for leaks, although there are no obvious water leaks .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments they are appreciated.
By fault finding the leak was under the quarry tiles in the shower room.
The structure of the floor from the top is:
1. Quarry tiles (Ruabon)
2. concrete.
3. scree
4. Concrete.

There is a wide section of DPC that the pipes are laid onto by the wall.

The copper pipes are wrapped in poly and hessian wrap round sleeve which I will replace with what ever the merchants recommend when I phone them tomorrow.
Got to wait for the area to dry out fully before I re concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back