Dormer bungalow, sink upstairs not getting hot water anymore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My parents live in a converted bungalow which has a bathroom and 2 bedrooms upstairs. They recently changed the sink in the upstairs bathroom and now there is no hot water coming out of the tap. When i investigated abit I found that the CWS tank is in the eves of one of the bedrooms. It appears that the new sink is higher than the old one so the hot water tank is no longer feeding the hot water upstairs using gravity because the sink is now higher than the CWS tank. There is a pipe coming off the CWS tank which has a brass fitting on the end, I think this device is used to increase the height of the tanks water without actually increasing the tanks height. It extends about 2 feet above the CWS tank but that is as far as it can go due to the height restriction in the eves. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the hot water back flowing to this bathroom. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No matter what you do to the tap, if it is higher than the water level in the CWS, water will not climb uphill, so to speak. You have to raise the water level in the tank ideally a metre above the tap and this will entail raising the tank. You get away with less than a metre but the flow rate out of the tap will be poorer.
Can't comment on the pipe you refer to, but the water level must be raised.

No matter what you do to the tap, if it is higher than the water level in the CWS, water will not climb uphill, so to speak. You have to raise the water level in the tank ideally a metre above the tap and this will entail raising the tank. You get away with less than a metre but the flow rate out of the tap will be poorer.
Can't comment on the pipe you refer to, but the water level must be raised.
Absolutely agree, obviously. But the previous setup worked and it's hard to believe that the new tap is considerably higher than the old one. Therefore the first port of call has got to be the tap surely, especially if it designed for high pressure systems.

If the tap is fitted above the CWS water level as you described in your opening post then no amount of new taps will work. Get the head of water issue sorted.

ah 45yagm, there's me thinking if Ideal/Trevi can make make a 'Venturi' shower work acceptably, why not a Venturi tap?

Three options, go to an unvented cylinder, undersink heater/over-sink heater, or indeed raise Domestic Tank, (long-winded fourth option - Combi Boiler)

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back