ahhh help my boiler blew fuse and now will not fire up :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title above suggest came home to find the program panel for boiler not lit up,, 1st thing i did was check fuse.... changed fuse and switched back on..."BANG!!" blew it again :( pulled all wiring sockets off of the wall as these had been off recently for tiling etc, nothing visibly wrong, i hoovered some dust out just in case.

Screwedd it all back to the wall and replaced fuse again, panel lit up, i reset the time and programs and then switched it to "Twice a day" the light on panel came on for CH but nothing from the boiler.

It appears that something electrical has gone on the boiler, does anyone have any ideas/clues what could have caused this? I know if i call a plumber out they are going to want to get rid of my currect boiler :( but to be honest since i have been in the house over 8 months the boiler has been great! never let us down before, it is old but still got nice blue flame.

I look forward to hearing back from someone, as we now have no CH, the immersion heater is still giving us hot water which is something i guess.

Sponsored Links
If you heard it go bang the fuse was too big - should have been 3 amp.

Pumps are the most common fuse-blowers, or water in electric valves etc., smell it. What boiler is it?? :rolleyes: !

Chris you are right i used a 5A fuse as this what was in there, stupidly i thought that like for like and should have checked online 1st.

Do you think i may have damaged it by replacing the 5A fuse?

Cant remember make etc, but i think i will call out our plumber, lol he only came 3 weeks ago to fit new hob and he said the boiler was looking old..... and i said well when do you want to come and service it? Typical i think the boiler may have overheard us talking......

Thanks Chris for your prompt reply

Just spoke with my plumber and he is coming out this evening to take a look. LOL he is out fishing at the moment, its a hard life :( not fair!

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone thanks for you help.

PLumber came out again this morning to take another look as he was puzzled as to why it was not working when he bipassed a couple of things.

Anyway this is his hunch, the motorised valve upstairs has blown, as we took cover off and it smelt the usually burnt out smell, this then feeds a signal back to the boiler via a motorised switch, this is what has blown and therefore the boiler will not start.

He also thinks that when i replaced the fuse with 5A it blew the clock/controller as it is doing some weird stuff like the display goes faint on and off, it still appears to work but not necessarily as it should be?

Does anyone know how much the above parts cost roughtly as i did not even bother to ask him as i know it needs to be done :(

Obviously its an old valve so the whole system needs to be drained Arg!! Nevermind, thought it was my kitchen fitting that may have caused it, but turns out to be just a coincidence!

Around £45-£55 for a 2 or 3 port valve, with the 3 port being the more expensive. You may pay a bit more than that but it shouldn't be vastly dearer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back