air bricks / sub-floor ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have very high humidity in the bedroom of my one-bed Victorian conversion flat. I have a basement and can underneath the bedroom. There are no air bricks underneath the bedroom or nearby. Also, underneath the bedroom floorboards, there's also lots of rubble and other bits and pieces from when the builders converted the house into flats in the 90's. There's about 30cm gap between the floor and the ground. The basement and other parts of the building is alot deep. The wall dividing the bedroom and basement is very damp, im assuming due to the moist soil and rubble stack high under the bedroom floorboards.

The ground outside has been raised by 30cm with patio slabs on top. The basement has high humidity. We have an extractor fan down there and a radiator.

Would more air bricks eliminate the high humidity in the bedroom? We do have a passive air vent in the bedroom, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, what type of air bricks should i install for a Victorian property and that the ground outside is raised? How do i know where the dpc level is outside?

Lots of questions! any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to look at ways of eliminating the moisture causing the high humidity. Without some specific details it is not possible to help much. I suggest you retype the second sentence as I don't understand it. Do you get any condensation? Raised external ground levels can be a source of DPC bridging and dampness, but in the end you need to identify the difference in external to internal levels and the impact that 30cm has.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back