Air in my central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need some advise please regarding air in my central heating system. I have for the last 2 years heard 'plop plop' sounds every couple of minutes in my heating system some times followed by the sound of running water. As I have a contract with British gas I was surprised that each time they serviced it they said it was fine each time I pointed it out and that air could not get in the system. I reached the point where the noise was really irritating when a room was quiet so called them out to check it. An engineer came and said the pump was on too low a setting so turned it up and said it would push the air out and to see how it goes. It still did it so I called them again. Another engineer this time said that I needed my system flushing out at a cost of £600+ He did the check with the air from the radiator and it did pop. Is this engineer correct? Do I need my system flushed?

Sponsored Links
if it went "pop" then it was hydrogen which is caused by slude

so yes he sounds about right

cue the others saying the BG are trying to rip you orf

I dont think they are

:)

if the engineer said air could not get into the system i assume you have a sealed system then. but if the other said the pump was on 1 i would suggest you have an open vented system.which do you have, it would help us all if you could tell us.

I have an open vented system which is why I thought the reply was odd.

Sponsored Links
he is right, in theory, air shouldnt get into your system

but then the rad air went pop didnt it? and if "air" went pop every time some one struck a light, then there wouldnt be many of us on this lovely planet

Do a search on flushing

it will tell you all you need to know

or you can pay BG 600 and get a life time guarantee instead of trying to do a fairly skilled job armed with a load of print outs from a diy web site

corgiman";p="803902 said:

Errr.. he has an open vented system, depending on the position of the pump.cold feed & vent will definitely have an impact on the performance of his system, which is notorius for drawing in air,

Errr.. he has an open vented system, depending on the position of the pump.cold feed & vent will definitely have an impact on the performance of his system, which is notorius for drawing in air,[/quote]

Well I was assuming that the original installer installed the F&E correctly to prevent this, seeing as it has only just started to happen

Good to have you back Bamber

My system was fitted by BG, so can someone just verify for me do I need to flush my system or is it something else? It has been doing it for 2 years at least.

I would say that the evidence you have given us is pointing to having to flush the system

More than likely needs a good clean if installed by BG, unfoutunatly for the customer they are not in the habit of flushing out new installs. The cleanser and inhibitor gets put in system and left to ferment with all the flux and other rubbish for years. They stopped using ferroquest as it kept being left in (aggresive cleaner). Its the politics of BG and the way their engineers are paid that encourage it.

Yes Corgiman it needs to be cleaned/flushed, not just drained and refilled a few times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back