Air in Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate of mine has been discussing problems with his CH and we all are a little stumped.

He recently had a new boiler fitted and new radiators throughout, the system was flushed prior to installation of the new boiler and a large percentage of the pipework was also replaced. Each new radiator was fitted with a thermostatic valve, but he has noted that on a couple of the radiators the thermostat appears to have been fitted on the return side( the installer has told him that as they are by-directional valves this doesn't matter, is this correct?).

They main problem for him is that when he switches his heating on he gets a gurgling noise in a couple of the radiators as they start to heat up and he gets air in his system almost weekly. He was told the system has inhibitor added.

Are these two problems related? What can he do about them???

All advice greatly received

Sponsored Links
MickyBoy said:
A mate of mine has been discussing problems with his CH and we all are a little stumped.

He recently had a new boiler fitted and new radiators throughout, the system was flushed prior to installation of the new boiler and a large percentage of the pipework was also replaced. Each new radiator was fitted with a thermostatic valve, but he has noted that on a couple of the radiators the thermostat appears to have been fitted on the return side( the installer has told him that as they are by-directional valves this doesn't matter, is this correct?)..........YES BUT I would`ve tried to put them on the flows :rolleyes:

They main problem for him is that when he switches his heating on he gets a gurgling noise in a couple of the radiators as they start to heat up and he gets air in his system almost weekly. He was told the system has inhibitor added......er, it should have

Are these two problems related? What can he do about them???

All advice greatly received
Get the installer back ;)

Nige,

Take your point about getting the Installer Back.

Reason I mentioned the Inhibitor is that I assumed that the air in system would not be caused by hydrogen from corrosion. Is it possible he could be drawing air in through a joint without showing any sign of a leak, probably should have mentioned he had the air in system problem prior to having the work done when he had a header tank system, he hoped the problem would stop when he had a pressure vessel installed.

Did he get a pressurised combi system, or just a plain systems boiler with an expansion vessel fitted?

If he left it for a week without bleeding the air from it, would he notice the pressure dropping much?

Sponsored Links
Id think its unlikely from what you say that itd be hydrogen build up, test some of the air from the rad to see if is hydrogen bt a dnt think it wuld be. and yes air can be drawn in through little cracks in the joints that otherwise you wont notice leaking, dunno if theyd let that much air in others on teh board with more expirience should be able to let u know better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back