Air Lock in Cold Water supply to Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would really appreciate your help on this one.....

I can turn my shower on and get a good supply of hot water coming out but there appears to be a cold water airlock because if I try and add cold water the shower stops (it is too hot to get in without adding cold water).

I have had a plumber come and remove the air lock 4 times now (at £95 a time) and it has happened again this morning and i really don't want to keep paying for this every 3 months or so it develops an air lock in the cold water....

Any advice would be welcome.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
is it a power showerr (with an electric pump)?

Is it a thermostatic shower?

Does the cold water come from a tank in the loft, or where?

Does the hot water come from a cylinder?

How is the water heated?

Did you ask the plumber how the problem was caused, and fixed?

What tells you it is an air lock?

Thanks JohnD. Hope these responses help?

It is a power shower (with electric pump)

The tank is in the loft.

Water is heated by the boiler (and there is an immersion as well)

The plumber told me it was an airlock and each time to fix it he undoes the pipe by the immersion tank (the other side of the wall to the shower) sticks a rubber tube in the pipe and sucks until the water starts coming through again.

Thanks SamB

I'm no plumber, but if a power shower gets an airlock, I would expect that it is trying to suck water from the tank faster than the tank can supply it. This might be because you have a rather small tank, plus a rather weak incoming supply, plus a rather powerful pump.

Do the air locks seem to occur after quite a lot of water has been recently used (so depleting the tank) e.g. someone else having a bath, running sink or washing machine?

Do you know how big your loft tank is?

Sponsored Links
bet its piped up wrong

ie not from its own feed from the tank

get your plumber back and tell him to do the job PROPERLY

wish I could get paid for my mistakes, I would be a millionaire!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back