Air lock to hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the room directly above the boiler we have a hot water tank. The tank has a feed to and from the tank linking to the boiler. This feed goes through the coil and returns to the boiler.

On the feed side there is a venting point.

Continually I am finding (every 2-3 days) the water level drops (or air rises???) and i have to vent this point to allow for the water to heat up.

Is this a common problem - if so what are common causes/fixes?

Is there a "best practice" re venting - may I be causing the problem as I vent by not doing it correctly (eg Heating on/off, other venting points open/closed/ length of time to vent etc etc etc)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
has this problem just started or been there all the time?

so the boiler fires up for hot water but until you vent the air vent the cylinder doesn't heat up?

Seems to have been there for a while - although I would think it is more frequent - possibly since it was drained to fit a new rad - but may be my mind playing tricks and they may not be related.

The boiler fires up and heats water for a short while - then the rads heat up as none of the hot water is going to the coil.

Sponsored Links
Will go round and check - I take it I am just looking around joints/taps for any signs that they are not fully tightened? (Edit - I am keen - but lacking in any knowledge what so ever! :D )

Will go round and check - I take it I am just looking around joints/taps for any signs that they are not fully tightened? (Edit - I am keen - but lacking in any knowledge what so ever! :D )

the new rad check that and the pump unions - but see my other post above

Pump is belwo tank level - about 20 foot away in the bathroom (belwo floor) whilst feed for tanks is about chest high.

I assume it is gravity fed.

gravity hot water systems are quite known to draw air in

where the air vent is that you keep venting, is it on the flow or return pipe form the hot tank? (top or lower pipe)?

where the air vent is that you keep venting, is it on the flow or return pipe form the hot tank? (top or lower pipe)?[/quote]

Not sure - how could I tell. The pump is directly above the boiler - the tanks is one room across - but no idea which way round it is set.

could be drawing air in via the vent - and it's getting trapped there, at probably the highest level in your system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back