Air source heat pump - underfloor heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unsure whether it's worth putting in UFH.

I am filling my Victorian terrace with as much insulation as I can (roof, walls and floor) and hoping to make the house future-proof for an air source heat pump. Currently a gas combi boiler. The central heating plumbing is all 22mm and the rads have all been massively increased in size/surface area. Next, we are renovating the ground floor and unsure whether UFH will work for us as we both work full time so the house only needs to be warm evenings and not even that often at the weekend. Where can I get help deciding or should I just pay a heating engineer for advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't think that UFH is just a really large bit of concrete with a screed over the top that you need to heat all the time. There are more options available these days that work quite happily with low temp systems and that react just as quickly as radiators.

Overlay systems are one such option.

Sponsored Links
Having installed several of these types of system then I can happily qualify that they are more than effective. The demand was borne out of a need to retrofit larger houses around where I live and work, that have pre-existing concrete slab floors. The clients wished the benefits and efficiencies of cooler running systems without the headache of ripping up the existing slab and then inlaying wet UFH system and then screeding over, or hoping the slab is well insulated and screeding over what they had and losing > 60-70mm in headroom.

These low level overlay systems can use all types of final floor covering from wood/vinyl up to low tog carpets and have the fine control of individually controlled UFH loops so each room can be controlled separately. I would also add that they actually react faster then rads for warm up due to the way they heat the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back