Air vent in chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a chimney stack in the middle reception room of my Victorian terrace. The chimney stack currently has a vent which is about 230mm x 180mm. The room has a suspended timber floor. The room directly above has the same vent in the chimney stack. It is OK to brick up the vent in the downstairs room?

Cheers,

Matt

Sponsored Links
You must have two separate flues sharing the same stack, one for a downstairs fireplace and one for the room above. As they have presumably been bricked up, both flues need ventilation. So you shouldn't block either of the vents.

I have a related question - I'm having a clay fireback (18") installed and know I need an air vent for this. Would the same apply if a cast iron insert was used instead? I'm kind of sure that the answer is yes but thought I'd check before hacking a hole through the wall! I'm also guessing it has something to do with the fire size?

[I would have had a stove but the fireplace isn't big enough!]

You must have two separate flues sharing the same stack, one for a downstairs fireplace and one for the room above. As they have presumably been bricked up, both flues need ventilation. So you shouldn't block either of the vents.

Cheers. The back of the chimney stack is actually the passage down the side of the house. Would it be OK to block up the vent in the room and create a vent on the other side in the passage?

Matt

Sponsored Links

Cheers. The back of the chimney stack is actually the passage down the side of the house. Would it be OK to block up the vent in the room and create a vent on the other side in the passage?

Matt

I guess that would be ok. As there's no party wall how about removing the chimney breast and stack?

I wouldn`t start removing Victorian chimneys :eek: they aren`t as substantial as they look sometimes. No problem with the vent in the passage though. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back