Ventilation, chimney breast, internal wall insulation, air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to ventilate a room that has had internal wall insulation applied to it, and the chimney is not ventilated.

I was thinking of putting an air vent into the room (where old opening was) but they look a bit unsightly and was thinking it will allow cold air in, or will the hot air leaving not really allow this?

Can I put this vent on the outside of the house, as the brickwork behind the chimney is only a single course thick, or does it have to go on the inside?

The chimney pot has had a pepper pot ventilated cap on it already.

Sponsored Links
You said , “the chimney is not ventilated” and “The chimney pot has had a pepper pot ventilated cap on it “

So which is it?

Chimney has a ventilated pot, but no air vent in the room.

Sponsored Links
Chimney has a ventilated pot, but no air vent in the room.

You need a vent in the room , cold air in the chimney, warm air in the room one ends up with condensation in chimney ,Interior brick work of chimney soaks in moisture combines with Acids from soot then it leaches through chimney breast with a stain and damp that is impossible to get rid of .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back