Airbrick installed pointing downwards outside front and rear door - won't rain go down them? What should we do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We've just moved into a terraced house and there is an airbrick in the floor outside of the front of the front door and also the dining room door (which opens onto the side return at the rear). Both point downwards. They were blocked up with years of dirt and I have cleaned them out. However I'm worried that rain will go down them. This is less likely at the front as there is a porch over the front door (but is still possible), but rain could definitely go straight down the one at the rear:
Two questions:
Is this normal - I presumed air bricks were always fitted in vertical walls?
And if not, what do you recommend we do?
Thanks in advance,
Andy

Attachments

• 20220724_203803.jpg
    20220724_203803.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220724_223209.jpg
    20220724_223209.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Cellar ventilators perhaps

Or maybe some ignorant halwit raised the ground level beside the house, burying the original airbricks and most likely bridging the DPC.

Take up a nearby floorboard a look underneath. Take some photos and post here

On the basis that they have been there for years, and presumably put there for a reason, do nothing.

Damp in an under floor void is perfectly normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back