Airing cupboard help

H

harrisonline

My 3 year old son got to our hot water tank and turned some of the red taps.

The problem I have is that I am not sure if they should be in the open or closed possition.

I have a feeling that one was open and the other was closed. He couldn't reach the third tap.

I have since fitted a bolt to the door.

I have taken a photo of the system and taps and can e-mail it to anyone who would like to have a look for me. To see if you know what taps are what?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
They should probably all be open. If your feet get wet that I take that back.
You can email me and I'll stick them up for you, or you can use something like Photobucket, which is worth getting to know.
Maybe your son knows how to do it? :p

Thanks.
I have e-mailed you a photo.
I will learn about photo bucket in case I need to post some more photos.

Sponsored Links
valves.jpg

Are the two blued pipes connected? If so the rear valve is a bypass and in your case can be shut as long as you don't have thermostatic rad valves on every radiator in the house.

Front one we can't tell, but is probably a tap water supply pipe which needs to be open. (open full and close half a turn so it doesn't seize)

Yes the 2 pipes you have highlighted are connected.

Have I done any harm in opening and closing the tap?

Have I done any harm in opening and closing the tap?
Nope, none at all.
The valves can weep a bit from their stem seals when they're turned, you could check for that and nip up the nut round the stem if reqd.
Turning those nuts up tight would stop vandals and hooligans turning the handles!
(or undo the small nuts holding the handles on and the handles will slide off - tie on string high up!)

Thanks for being so helpful.
You have put my mind at rest.

Any chance of employing your 3 year old - everytime I go to a domestic gate valve they are seized after years on not being used!

If it can be turned, opened, taken apart or broken he'll find a way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back