Leaking tap in airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 4th floor flat and have a gas-fired boiler with cylinder in the airing cupboard and tank above the cylinder. I think it's what's called a vented hot water system...

In the airing cupboard there are three red taps on pipes leading from/to the cylinder, plus of course the stopcock. One of the red taps is higher up (on the pipe leading to the water tank at the top of the cupboard) which is the one I know I have to turn to turn the hot water off.

The other two are towards the bottom and the one nearest to the cylinder (on the pipe leading directly in to the base of the cylinder) has been leaking recently which coincided with the taps and the stopcock being all turned off & on again as I had a new kitchen installed.

The mains pressure for cold water is very high and the stopcock only needs to be turned slightly to get gushing water. I also have an electric pump fitted to the cylinder which is activated when the hot tap on the bath is turned on, for the power shower. The tap only seems to leak when I have a shower, but it never used to, so it makes me think that I've not turned the red taps back on as they used to be. Should they all be fully open? Maybe the stopcock needs to be closed more?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back