Airing Cupboard Ventilation with Condensated Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys... and gals!
I have and old airing cupboard that now houses a Combi boiler. The cupboard is 1000mm deep x 700 wide... perfect for a few shelves and a rail to dry shirts.... or so I thought....
UNTIL I found my loft was taking the condensation and attaching to inside of loft felt!!!
I have covered the holes of old pipes that ran into loft but now think vetilation is required.... Oh and this is my question....

Would I be best cutting a vent through stud wall into landing above door
or
Running and extractor style grate in roof to eaves of house similar to bathroom extractor..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually when a boiler is fitted in a cupboard all that is required is high and low level vents in the cupboard door - this can vary though and the requirements will be listed in the manual for the boiler.

Condensation in the attic is usually caused by a poorly sealed hatch / ceilings in combination with inadequate roof space ventilation.

Thanks Guys.
The damp has only appeared since new boiler fitted/ using airing cupboard for airing. The boiler needs no vents just wish to use the room! Can I just fit uppe vent or is circulation needed from top to bottom?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the new boiler is discharging flue products into loft or you have very inadequate loft insulation therefore warm loft and warm air hitting cold felt = condensation

if you are putting wet washing in that cupboard so the heat from the boiler dries it, where do you suppose the steam is going?

Ok ok OK OK OK!!!!
I confess... your all RIGHT!!!!!
Yeah, I think that
A – Roof is not adequately insulated….. that’s another question…. I want to board centre and leave outer 1/3’s open. Can I lay 250mm on outer and 100mm to be boarded over. What is impact of compressing loft insulation?

B – Airing cupboard damp air I believe is rising through hole into loft and sticking to felt. I have sealed hole can I now put vent above cupboard door and allow damp air to travel onto landing and disperse?

C – Boiler exits through roof but nought coming from there….. had that checked by a budgie?!!!!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back