Alan Titchmarsh Show - How to easily build a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Did anyone see the Alan Titchmarsh show (11th Nov I think) where him and Sven Wombwell built a small patio in the studio.

They showed a brand new product - it was a sort of patio spacer that seemed to make the job much quicker and more accurate than bits of wood in the joints. They were grey like a tile spacer but MUCH bigger. Anyway I have searched everywhere B&Q, Homebase, Wickes but can’t find them

Does anybody know what they are called so I can find them on Google?
Cheers
Barry

Sponsored Links
Wow thanks Max for such a prompt reply - yes they are exactly the ones. I guess I should have searched 'patio spacers' myself, but at my age only just getting my head around this internet thing!

Has anybody actually used them - I mean I know Alan thought they made life much easier, but that was in a studio, has anybody used them on a real patio job?
Thank you
Barry

As with tile spacers you shouldn't leave them in and point/grout over them. Hence why i use offcuts of mdf or chipboard of the desired thickness and make them large enough to be easily pulled out.

Of course i mean putting them in midway along each edge rather than in the corners but that is because i rarely lay paving in a criss-cross grid pattern.

Sponsored Links
Only useful if all the slabs are identical in size. Very few designs are, even when mass-produced. Never known why. Try an even 10mm gap on a circle kit, for example, and you'll see what I mean.

Hi r896neo
I see your point but actually Gapfast being 20mm high are designed to actually remain in place (see our short video www.gapfast.com) that is one of the design elements which is patented. Often when mortar is weak, or if the patio is crossed over by cars or heavy wheelbarrows etc they can move – but not with Gapfast they add significantly to the strength of the paving. Once pointed over they are invisible.

Further I take your point that not all patios are in a criss-cross pattern that why we also manufacture Gapfast in a Tee.

Anyway I appreciate your comments and would like to offer you a bag free of charge, just drop me an email at [email protected] with your address

Kim
Gapfast Customer Services

Hi Wabbitpoo
When we designed Gapfast we worked with many paving manufacturers and immediately became aware of varying manufacturing tolerances particularly in patio packs – and that is precisely why you need Gapfast, because it ensures a minimum of 10mm in every joint, every time and thereby averages out the joint width inconsistencies – search GAPFAST on YouTube and you will find a video to see what I mean.

Anyway I can still understand your scepticism so please email me ([email protected]) with your address and I will happily to send you a bag with my compliments for you try out on your next project
Kim
Gapfast Customer Services

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back