alarm and phone wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've used "alarm wires" - piddly individual silver coloured wires - to connect pirs to the control panel.

i had a spare "phone wire" - copper wire - which i've used to connect a keypad to the control panel.

my question: is it ok to use "phone wire"?
or will the resistance be too great for receiving and transmitting data?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Phone wire is perfectly OK for alarm systems.

Resistance would only be a problem if the cable was a few hiundred yards long.

ok, thanks. i'm getting tamper errors on the keypad and just wanted to check whether copper wires had anything to do with it. so, onto the next thing to check. oh joy! :D

The only difference with Bernard's answer and any alarm company in the country is that the alarm cos. all use stranded, not solid drawn, it breaks, difficult to work with, difficult to terminate into alarm equipment, in other words, we don't use it.

Phew, that was a mouth full.

Sponsored Links
stranded, not solid drawn, it breaks, difficult to work with, difficult to terminate into alarm equipment,
True, but telephone engineers seemed to cope with it OK until IDC connectors became the vogue. Maybe alarm engineers will catch up soon and start using IDC and solid drawn. :mrgreen:

stranded, not solid drawn, it breaks, difficult to work with, difficult to terminate into alarm equipment,
True, but telephone engineers seemed to cope with it OK until IDC connectors became the vogue. Maybe alarm engineers will catch up soon and start using IDC and solid drawn. :mrgreen:
Never, it just does not do the job.

Apart from anything else, if you stab yourself with the stranded, no problem, do it with the solid and it b***** hurts for days :LOL:

you're right, i did stab myself with the solid drawn wires... TWICE. i just don't learn do i? :LOL:

Just use the stuff that is designed for the job, stranded.
Stranded wire is designed for use in applications where the cable has to be flexible. The only place there is a need for flexible cable in an alarm system is the flexible cable between door frame and door. Other than that the cabling is fixed ( or rather it should be ).

Often a stranded connection in a screw down terminal block ends up with a couple of strands being severed as the screw in the terminal screws down onto the strands. ( avoided by the use of a bootlace ferrule on the stranded conductor ).

ok, thanks. i'm getting tamper errors on the keypad and just wanted to check whether copper wires had anything to do with it. so, onto the next thing to check. oh joy! :D

Now that you have got Wintex working (from another forum) you can use its diagnostic mode to check for any keypad network errors. Expect the count to be zero if the cabling is ok.

Don't get many tamper problems with Texe keypads. Check that the cover is fitted correctly and the back plate is flat. If you've used a screw in the back tamper hole make sure that its not over tight which can distort the back plate. Try bending the micro switch lever slightly.

pcaouolte - wintex network error is 0000 (4 zeroes).
will try the things you've suggested.

waiting for local OAPs to wake up before i start testing.
don't want to give them a heart attack with sirens blaring away! :)

You could disable the external sounder whilst you are testing if you want the OAPs to survive a bit longer - Area Options 10 Bell & Strobe Output

Intruder Alarm Cable is manufactured to European Standards required by DD CLS / TS EN 50131-7:2010 and insulated with high grade PVC to EN 50363-4-1 for assured flexibility.

The flexible cable you mention Bernard is something completely different.

Beats me, too. Cat 5 is solid and both it and telephone cable are rated at TNV (>50V) whilst stranded alarm wire is only SELV (<30V). Alarm cable is much nicer to use, though, and the colours are prettier, too!

I'm also surprised that alarms rarely use screened/shielded cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back