Alarm insecurity - jamming, replaying and brute-forcing on the Yale HSA6400

Sponsored Links
June 19th 2016 A Swiss Avro RJ-100, registration HB-IYT performing flight LX-456 from Zurich (Switzerland) to London City,EN (UK) was on final approach to London City Airport's runway 27 descending through about 1500 feet MSL when a drone nearly collided with the aircraft. The crew continued for a safe landing on City's runway 27 about 2 minutes later.

So the drone, under control it seems was at least 1500 feet from its controller. From this one can safely assume that the signal from the controller was strong 500 yards from it was being transmitted. Drones have 4 electric motors with PMW speed control, electrically a very noisy environment so the control signal strength has to be good.

At 250 yards from the transmitter the signal strength will be about 4 times that at 500 yards. At 125 yards 8 times. Hence the signal from a drone's controller will be very strong at ground level for many yards around the operator's location. At least ten to twenty times the signal from the transmitter in a wireless alarm sensor. The drones controller will be transmitting for as long as regulations permit. 10% of the time. ( which could be 6 continuous minutes in a one hour period ). Non compliant drone controls may ( illegally ) transmit almost continuously.

So John, would you install these in your house?
I'm quite happy with the alarm I've got, I don't need another.

Have you got any evidence to show that "drones" and "jammers" are a significant (or even perceptible) source of housebreaking?

Are you planning to burgle my house, or is it just the 5'4" teen with fair hair I need to look out for?

Sponsored Links
So John, would you install these in your house?
I'm quite happy with the alarm I've got, I don't need another.

Have you got any evidence to show that "drones" and "jammers" are a significant (or even perceptible) source of housebreaking?

Are you planning to burgle my house, or is it just the 5'4" teen with fair hair I need to look out for?

I answered this already, very, very clearly and recently.

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/a...n-the-yale-hsa6400.462065/page-9#post-3681323

I'm not asking you to replace the alarm, I'm asking if you if the security risks presented by those devices are acceptable to you.

So the drone, under control it seems was at least 1500 feet from its controller.
Swiss sources say altitude of three thousand feet.

The story may or may not be credible or true. Perhaps there is some evidence somewhere. Perhaps not.

I don't see any evidence or an investigation report.

Unlike that previous one you posted.

Last edited:
I don't see any evidence or an investigation report.
Normally they are not public domain.

But a doubting thomas like you probably wouldn't believe anything unless you saw it for yourself.

Or do you get pleasure from contradicting people who have far more experience than you have.

Perhaps you are offended that I don't believe scare stories when I can find no evidence to support them. I suppose I just have a naturally suspicious mind.

What can we assume about your reluctance to answer the question about those three devices?

CG, it's clear you're wasting your time interacting with John. He isn't going to listen, he's a DIYer who won't be told. The message is out and those that listen to it will avoid wasting their money on an insecure alarm system that has potential of not working when it's required.

That's all you can say and it should now be left for those to digest how they see fit.

I just think it's odd to put up a strawman given that the original post very clearly says we don't think it's happening. Just that it can, and there are ways to avoid this.

Yes, I've noticed a trend for people to call "thinking about the worst" scaremongering, as if they aren't able to read and process the information themselves.

What can we assume about your reluctance to answer the question about those three devices?
You can assume that it's foolish of you to invent your own assumptions, and that u are an ass.

Bear in mind that I have no interest in following your wild diversions off topic.

Today's Drone Report:
Drones observed : zero.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back