Alarm instillation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a house alarm to install. I bought extra window contacts for UPVC windows. These come sealed with a 'flying' 4 core lead. I understand the theory of basic electricity but don't have much practical knowledge. Firstly, which of the 4 colours connect to where (alarm and tamper)? Secondly, what is the neatest way of joining these flying leads to the main cables (since they will be fairly visable wrapped around the window frame)? Finally, any tips on installing the variuos cables as tidily and unobtrusivly (and easily!) as possible?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
it depends on which brand you have as to which colours do what, usually black and red are the contact pair and yellow & blue the tamper

Best option use a meter to check.

You should solder and tape the joints, if you just twist them then they will go high resistance and cause you false alarms, personally I wouldnt put anything on the windows as it
a) looks ugly
b) too much hassle
c) doesnt work if window smashed

I would run the cables under the carpet (secured by clips or staples) but between the gripper rod and the inside of it, NOT between the gripper rod and wall as used to be the case. you should also remove a very narrow strip if underlay for the cables to sit in (unless you want a bulge in your carpet.

I would also use detectors instead of contacts (except doors) as they cover a bigger area and if you take the cables upstairs and bring them down you will not see any cable, you should also have one detector per circuit / zone as this is not only a bs requirment it makes life easier should it go off (you know which ONE went off)

Thanks for the info. I can use the meter fo find the contact pair (open/closed circuit when magnet brought near). How do the tamper connections work and thus how do I test them? I assume maybe by a process of elimination the remaining two will be tamper? It would still be useful to know how these are connected and how they work.
I agree with using more PIR detectors would be better, but unfortunately we have three cats that are allowed to roam anywhere (and there is no way the wife would allow these to be limited to a particular area!) - this rather limits the effective range of the PIR's I do plan to use.

Sponsored Links
the tamper connections are literally a loop. The idea being that if either the contact it self or the cable going to it is damaged the loop is broken and the alrm goes off regardlessof being set or not.

You may like to know that most ploice forces do not like people who have alarms with free roaming pets, but as you said if you only have windows and doors you will be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back