PIR wiring in replacement alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited a 15-year-old Galaxy 8 alarm system in my house, which has finally died.
I just want a simple system, so I’m considering a DIY replacement with an Accenta Mini G4 panel/RKP (click here) with a Reson8 bellbox (click here).

All 5 of the PIRs are already fairly new replacements (click here) of the decrepit originals. They are all wired using only 4 cores and a couple of resistors between some of the terminals, which I think is instead of a normal tamper circuit.

So, two questions:
1. Will the Accenta panel work with PIRs wired in this way?
2. If I need to, would it work with some PIRs wired this way, and some conventionally? Most of the cabling is 8-core, but some previously extended bits look to be only 4-core.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The Accenta will only work with standard closed circuit wiring.Your Galaxy will be wired eol (1k across , 1k end of).You would have to remove the resistors from the devices and wire to suit the Accenta or get a replacement panel that matches your resistors...another Galaxy !.
Lucky that it has been wired in 8 core.

I inherited a 15-year-old Galaxy 8 alarm system in my house, which has finally died.

They are all wired using only 4 cores and a couple of resistors between some of the terminals, which I think is instead of a normal tamper circuit.
Cheers
'Died' What do you mean?
Even the old Galaxy is better than what you are proposing.

'...... a couple of resistors ..... ' - The normal way of wiring a Galaxy, two wires for 12v & two more with resistors for alarm circuit & tamper circuit.

Much better & secure than double pole wiring.

Thanks for the advice.
"Died" = circuit board in panel repeatedly blowing 1A fuses - advised uneconomic to repair by a local installer. 15 years in the back of the airing cupboard has finally taken it's toll :rolleyes: (will relocate the replacement).
Will also take a look at Galaxy panels.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.
circuit board in panel repeatedly blowing 1A fuses
Cheers
Would suggest what is connected to the panel is blowing the fuse, not the circuit board.
Same fuse each time, which one, (F1 - 12v fuse) or (F2 - Battery fuse)

F1 will be feeding any detectors, bell/siren/keypad etc, suspect the 'old' external sounder first.

Your local guy is just trying to sell you a new panel/system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back