Alarm maintenance - question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing Risco alarm system which include 3 wireless internal detectors upgraded 4 years ago. My alarm company doesn't 't want to maintain them anymore because they are out-dated and want me to upgrade again. Can't afford that right now but need to replace the batteries ( they were replaced 2 yrs ago). Can I go to another company or am I locked into the company that installed my alarm.

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Is it showing low battery ? If so and it won’t set ….you have nothing to lose by replacing them yourself …I’ve been to a couple that where installed by another and was able to change and reset with the customer code …

Nothing showing low battery - normally change them every two years. Thought I would trigger a tamper alarm if I did it myself. How did you change batteries with customer code?

Sponsored Links
I've attached a picture of the two wireless detector types - can you help in figuring out what batteries I need
Door_contact_wireless_13_12_2023.JPG
Room_wireless_detector_13_12_2023.JPG

Last edited:
You need to do a walk test after replacing these batteries.

Users should be able to do this the alternative is to down power then panel put battery back on then mains.

you may get a tamper a little while after replacing the battteries and doing the walk test after replacing stops that from being an issue usually

Last edited:
if the batteries in the wireless detectors run down before I replace them, am I right in thinking the only issues is I won't be able to set the alarm.

They are one way devices, so depends if the jam the signal due to low battery.

which can occur if they don’t jam and haven’t been opened you should be able to set alarm.

Most domestics get two years on most brands, if you start replacing all the sensors make a note of when you replaced them, you can see when the first one flags, and use this as a guide to replace all routinely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back