alarm piezo voltage

K

keendiyer25

hi there, i have been servicing my elmdene internal sounder and got a pretty painful shock from the white piezo wire at the transformer whilst testing the sounder using those stupid neon screwdrivers which turned out to be faulty so i binned it, i was quite shaken afterwards but it was my own fault lol.

my question is what voltages do these piezos run at when sounding?, the shock was almost as bad as a normal mains 240 volt shock which is painful, god knows what would of happened if it was the strobe i would have probably been electrocuted i heard they go up to 300v sometimes higher :!: :eek:

Sponsored Links
it seems that burglar alarms can be just as dangerous as mains electric, well the sounder and panel maybe dont know about detectors and other devices on the alarm as their 12v maybe they could be dangerous if you touch the wrong part like i found out the hard way lol

any thoughts

It will have been the strobe, not the piezo sounders and, yes, it's a few hundred volts, with a few thousand volts to strike the arc! :eek:

Never mess with the inside of a bell when the strobe is in use. Leave it for at least five minutes after the last flash.

Not trying to be rude but what are you doing 'servicing' something you so obviously know nothing about.
Just imagine what would have happened if you had been up a ladder when that happened.

Strobes hurt if not handled with respect.

Sponsored Links
hi 82 and europlex i do have some knoledge about alarms [ie wiring sensors to alarm panel and changing batteries] but i will admit i know pretty little about the sounder circuitry, having realised they use step up tranformers and high voltage capacitors to energisze strobe and sounder. 12v volts charges the battery and comfort leds but clearly not the strobe lol.

also there is a transformer for the piezos what voltage do they run when sounding :?:

ps i was changing the backup battery and when it went off i jumped and accidently hit the transformer and got jolted

so what voltage do these piezos run at when sounding 100v,200v or less? id just like to know what im up against cheers,

straight answer please

Many small piezo elements operate on 5 volts and most are listed as maximumn of 25 volts on their data sheets

Some driver circuits have an inductor which creates a reverse polarity pulse to the element to create a pseudo AC waveform. ( driving a piezo with DC can reduce its life ).

I doubt this pulse would be large enough to cause a shock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back