alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am new to this forum

my diy problem is i have a accenta mini G3 house alarm
when you walk through the front door the PIR does not set off right away sometimes it does what is causing the delay and how i can fix it
can somebody advise what to do

thanks harty

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Firstly got to say I'm no expert, I've only installed one DIY alarm myself, however I beleive many PIR's are inteligent and will not trigger untill they sense a couple of movements to avoid false alarms from things like draughts etc. That might be whats happening with yours. The Yale I fitted did the same, sometimes I could get to the pad before it started, other times in triggered as soon as I entered. I think it was just the way I entered the room, or whether I was carring anything like a bag.

Regards,
footprints

Are you using the PIR as the entry/Exit device?
If so are you walking towards it or across its path?

Also if the above is correct why can you not fit a door contact?

Sponsored Links
It is DIY and professional term.
It means the detector needs to be activated twice within a certain time period. This can be used for troublesome detectors but is false method in any good engineers opinion. Especially to be avoided on door contacts. Or the dubious method of a PIR on entry/exit.
Why do you ask this, it is in the manuals that come with the panels ( well some anyway, not the professional systems that only come with manager and user manuals), did you not understand the terminology?

It is poor method of trying to cut down on false alarms and in my eyes and most insurers totally incorrect. If there is an issue, investigate and change detector if all seems fine. I won't go into fault finding here ATM. You could soak test a new device, still not the best answer but one allowed for a few days by insurers.
I assume you know what that is?
A detector that is log only and if passes test automatically comes live after a set period. Just in case you were not aware.
Many instances for this, new doors/conservatory ECT. Our job is detection, not false alarms. Hence ongoing training and knowing the equipment, which is proven and reliable. Risk assesments and customer budgets. Something people seem to miss on here, or make incorrect assumptions from what I have seen.
Of course we charge more than a one man side line, but we have efficiency insurance. Which is totally different to public liability if your unsure.
Looking back as this subject obviously interests me, I have yet to see anyone mention this when they quote numbers of systems fitted. May I add not even decent ones. A decent system does not cost a lot . Why spend £130 on something that is supposed to protect property and or life if fire detection when your trying to protect thousands of pounds of items?

Its also an extreamly poor way of cutting down of spiders triggering alarms, its going to trigger it more than once...

I'm sure it will explain what it is to anyone who is interested in the manual...
That's part of the problem here, people DON'T.

They look at a picture, fix to the wall with one screw, think a rechargeable battery lasts for ever, fits a detector looking at the front door, instead of looking across the entry route and wonder why it does not work.

Never mind not fitting a contact to the door to operate the entry route correctly.

The list goes on and on, not going to mention more now, they are here already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back