alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? I've got this alarm system with sensors inside that sets off the inside alarm with movement, but there is an alarm box outside that seems to go off for no reason, mainly at night, and makes this awful high pitch noise, and i don't know why it goes off, or how to turn it off. I just have to let it cut off itself after 20 minutes or so. I thought that they were both connected together (if the alarm triggered, both would go off). Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
If your external sounder is going off, while your system is switched off/or you get no internal alarm when the external sounder activates, then you have a problem with the SAB (Self-Activating Bell) module in the external sounder.

This is designed to sound the external alarm, using its own ni-cad battery, in the event that someone cuts the wire connecting it to your alarm control unit. (It monitors a constant 12 volt supply from your alarm control and if it loses it - because for example someone has cut the cable - it sounds)

Therefore the cause is either an intermitancy on the 12volt 'Hold-Off' voltage from your alarm control to the external sounder, or a fault on the actual SAB module in the sounder.

Are you sure it goes off mostly at night? Could it be going off during the day when you are out at work?

I assume from what you say that it was not a professionally installed alarm, and you have no handbook or specification for it?

It's a worrying problem if you have false alarms; not only will you annoy the neighbours, but also, when/if you have a real break-in, no-one will pay any attention because they will assume it's just another false alrm.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back