Albion Mainsflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a call today from someone who bought a house in September this year, saying he has not had any hot water since moving in.
I called in tonight on way home to 'assess the situation'.

The water from all hot water points is lukewarm, heating is and always has been fine.

He has an 'Albion indirect mainsflow combination unit' fitted in his loft alongside his boiler. The previous homeowner was a British Gas engineer and fitted it all himself approx 2 years ago.

The first thing I tried was the zone valve going to the unit, this wasn't working so I removed the actuator , manually turned the valve and 'hey presto' the primaries going to and leaving the unit became hot instantly. I packed up my tools, finished my tea and told him I would return tomorrow to replace the zone valve. I said if he left it an hour or so he could run himself a long awaited bath. I noticed the immersion was plugged in and the fella said it always was. I said he could unplug it as he didn't need it.

I have just had a call from him saying no hot water, worse still it was cold, not even lukewarm.
I am going back tomorrow armed with no experience of these combination units and wondered if there is anything I should be looking at specifically? I have a troubleshooting guide. Is it straightforward to follow these steps?
And why was the immersion on? Maybe it has been on since Mr British Gas moved out, knowing he had a problem? As the water was cold, not lukewarm, it looks like the only heat for the DHW was from the immersion.?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
when you run the hot tap, does the pipe between the cylinder and the blending valve get hot. If so its probably the blending valve needs adjusting/replacing, if not its a problem on the boiler side of the unit.

when you run the hot tap, does the pipe between the cylinder and the blending valve get hot. If so its probably the blending valve needs adjusting/replacing, if not its a problem on the boiler side of the unit.

I don't know, but that will be the first thing I check tomorrow, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back