Alcoves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1930s house with 2 chimney breasts, so alcove cabinets and wardrobes built in would work really well both upstairs and down.

I’ve looked at the cost of this and it’s prob 3K in total at the cheapest flat pack (made to measure) and much more for a properly scribed one, could be 5k+.

So I was thinking, it looks fairly simple joining and cuts provided you have a good workbench and some basic electric tools. So if I could fit these myself this would save quite a bit of money AND give me skills for the future.

Do you think this is beyond the skills of a DIY first real woodwork project? I think provided I get a mitre, router, jigsaw etc it can’t be too difficult with MDF and some mouldings

I just want to gage whether this is biting off more than I can chew. I’ve never done anything like this for a job but I’ve done minor things like cut skirting corners and picture rail scribe, things like that.

advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you are a practical person, it is potentially doable.

One principles to get to grips with is that a lot of furniture, especially cabinets and no matter how fancy, are really only a series of boxes

Lastly joinery installation is all about straight lines, levels and plumb lines

You might be best of starting out by sketching your ideas on paper to see what they look like. By all.mwana borrow ideas from magazines, books and the Internet.

Design inspiration can come from anything, although the tutor who ears ago presented me with an egg, a pencil and a piece of coarse cloth was maybe pushing it a bit!

Wardrobes are easy , I used IKEA doors and reduced alcove dimensions with a frame to suit.

You could buy doors and build frame to suit .
Used 18mm mdf , a decent circular saw is a great help.

that’s great for the wardrobes thanks.

what I mean downstairs is something like this

91CDF026-C1D4-43B2-9775-17BD00D87749.png

Do you think that’s feasible for a novice provided a lot of research is done and I have the right tools?

it seems pretty easy with mdf, good paint and the right equipment.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back