Algae in water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional plaumbing system in my home i.e. a water storage tank in the loft, hot water cylinder in bedroom airing cupboard.

Problem I have is what appears to be small bits of algae coming out the taps in the bathroom, is this common and is there a reliable / permanent method of getting shut?

Sponsored Links
Big square thing!

Sorry!

The most common cause of living green stuff in a cistern is a poor flow rate and little water usage.

Often two tanks are connected together wrongly and stagnant water collects in one of them.

You need to look into the tank in the loft and tell us what you see.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Actually big square black thing, size of an arm chair, but no cover. Is that normal?, also live in the middle of a virtual forest, lots of horsechestnuts canopy the house and roof covered in moss.

I think I'm getting to the obvious cause of what's happening but is there a way I can ensure it doesn't happen again if I clean the tank out? Any additive chemicals that will stop any re-occurence without compromising the water quaity/safety? ;)

Start by fitting a cover!!!

Obviously during the dark ages when your was made they did not bother.

The simplest way is to cover with a sheet of thick polythene and some plywood on top with a brick to stop the squirrels getting in.

Of course first clear all the pond weed. Then ideally add a container of household bleach and leave for a day without running the water.

Tony

If it's got no cover, them have a look for a dead bird in it, too.

Measure the tank. You might find a black plastic lid to fit it in your DIY shed or builders merchant.

Buy an insulation jacket for it while you're there.

It will want scrubbing out before you disinfect it.

If you're getting green vegetation, there must be light getting in, unless you have a leak in the roof and it's falling in the tank.

Is your drinking water ok? Might be worth getting it tested by the water supplier.
The reason I ask is that I had a friend who lived in Scotland for a while.
He lived near to a hill at the top of which was a farm where the the water supply was drawn from a borehole. He had allsort of wormlike things coming out of his taps along with a smell of animal poo. Turned out after getting the borehole and tap water tested by the environmental health dept that there was an underground burst where the pipe was buried underneath the gate area of a nearby field. The animal excrement was contaminating the supply. It was a nasty experience for the whole family as they all had to be wormed and the farmer who they rented a cottage from had a huge bill to pay for re-instating the supply.

No problems with the drinking water and the dark ages when the house was built was 1985. The tank already has an insulation jacket but the cover is missing, probably a bit of careless DIY by one of the previous owners of the property.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back