All Electric House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hypothetically.

If you used electricity as the only source of fuel in your house, could it compete with the general gas and electricity used by most. For example, if you used an electric boiler to supply wet underfloor heating, used lots of energy efficient lighting. Perhaps ran a solar panel and wind turbine, insulated your house etc, etc.

Could this be a) Cheaper, b) More energy efficient/greener?

Has anyone ever done any calculations?

Sponsored Links
resistive electric heating is very inefficiant when you look at the whole supply chain (most of the losses are in the generation of the electricity not in the use of the electricity for heating).

air source heat pumps (basically an aircon running in reverse) are a good option but they get less efficiant as the weather cools down and if it gets cold enough suffer from freezing.

ground source heat pumps are the best form of electric heating but upfront costs are high.

Hi CGS
I've had an all elecric home for the past 6 years and until the recent spate of fuel price increases my total monthly bill was £55 which compared favourably with my previous homes ie Gas CH & Oil CH.
My latest calculations taking in recent price increases suggest a figure of £70 a month,but of course we are now being advised of price decreases so hopefully it will drop again.
Regards
Ruben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back