All in one shed preservative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new shed has just been built and was dip treated, but apparently that's only good for 3 months according to the place I bought it from.

I like the colour of the shed and don't feel a need to give it a new colour.

20160908_132005.jpg

From what I've read, clear preservatives contain no wax. So I have to buy a preservative to protect the wood, and then if I want to make it waterproof I need something like decking oil.

Is there a clear preservative that has anti woodworm and anti fungus but will also waterproof?

Or maybe I should buy a preservative that isn't clear, because it has wax and would waterproof the shed? I just don't really want to be faffing around with 2 or 4 coats of preservative, and then 1 or 2 coats of oil. I want to slap a couple of coats on of a single product and be done with it basically.

Sponsored Links
that colour will turn to the usual grey colour within a year or so similar to the small panel on the left hand side
so give it 2 good coats off a colour you like

Last edited:
Is there a clear preservative that has anti woodworm and anti fungus but will also waterproof?

No. A preservative protects against rot and insect attack. The best I know are made by Cuprinol. They make a clear version. They are not stains and are not waterproof. Modern fences and sheds are made of very thin timber. It gets wet in the rain and dries out in the sun. Apart from pieces in contact with the ground or puddles, it does not spend much time at the right degree of dampness for fungi and insects to thrive.

You might consider an oil, which is somewhat water-repellent. Some of them have very little colour, though they tend to go yellow or brown with age. Linseed smells nice but I understand you can use cooking oil if you want. Some people do on kitchen worktops. Also available is Decking Oil and I have seen a low-price garden furniture oil sold by Aldi. Danish Oil is just thinned-down vegetable oil.

I use linseed. Thinning the first few coats with white spirit helps it soak in better. You apply multiple thin coats and wipe off anything that has not soaked in within 20 minutes (otherwise it lies on the surface and goes gummy).

Ordinary shed and fence stains usually contain wax which leaves a water repellent film on the surface. A pale pine variety will not add much colour.

Sponsored Links
Thanks big-all. In that case, yeah, I'll try and choose a lightish colour as close as I can get to being similar.

JohnD, thanks very much for the info.

Regarding your last sentence about fence stains with wax, yeah I think if not waterproof, then water repellent will be fine rather than me going to the hassle of getting oil.

This Ronseal product 'Ronseal Shed & Fence Presever' seems to tick all the boxes as it's both water repellent and insect and rot proof.

"Highly penetrative solvent-based wood preserver providing long lasting colour and protection against rot and decay to sheds and fences. 2 in 1 protection, eradicating woodworm and preventing rot and decay. The formula contains added water repellents, waterproofing the timber and defending against the damage caused by water ingress."

It's got good reviews on amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-SFWPG5L-Fence-Preservative-Green/dp/B004ISZAMS?th=1

but on homebase, they're saying the pigment and preservative doesn't mix well.
http://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal-green-shed-fence-preserver-5l/81395_BQ.prd

Shall I buy that, or what would be your recommended Cuprinol equivalent which is the same, water repellent and insect/rot proof?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back