Shed roof felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning folks,

My first post here!

I had a shed delivered and assembled a few weeks ago and have recently treated it with a good clear preserver.

Unfortunately some of the preserver spread onto the felt at the two sides and seems to have permanently stained it to a darker colour, which actually looks good as it better matches the wood finish but am wondering whether this has damaged the felts waterproofing properties?

1) Should I lightly coat the remainder of the felt with the preserver?

2) Should I paint the felt?

3) Re-felt required?

Many thanks in advance.

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but it looks unsightly as it stands with two (uneven) dark strips to the side so I will need to take some sort of action.

That darned preserver jumping all over the place of its own accord and going where you don't want it to go! TBH I'm struggling to understand how a couple of splashes at the edges are offending your aesthetic sensibilities so much but, if they are, then re-felt.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ceres, thanks for your reply.

It's more than a couple of splashes i'm afraid, it's crept in about 15cm per side, uneven and significantly darker than the rest of the felt. As we only have a small garden and this side of the roof is facing the house it doesn't look great.

Will the preserver physically damage or affect the waterproofing properties of the felt? If not I am happy to cover the whole felt area in it as the resulting stained colour is acceptable.

Thank you
Jamie

Sheds only come with a single layer of felt, which doesn't last very long anyway.
Going over the lot with a better grade of felt will solve your problem and means the roof will last much longer.
If you have nailed down the existing layer, stick the next lot on with a full cover of adhesive. Just don't get it all over the paintwork or you'll be back at square one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back