Wood preservatives for sheds. Good ones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps

I have moved in to a house with a load of sheds. They are all old, but of very good quality (really thick wood and well kept).

I want to top up the preservatives to keep the wood in good condition but I also wouldn't mind adding some colour. I also wouldn't mind preserving the inside to prevent water getting in from the items IN the shed (wet bikes and clothes)

Are things like Cuprinol wood stains any good at the preservative side of things or are they more for cheap sheds you won't be keeping long?

Am I better off accepting brown-mediocrity and using a creosote type product?

Olly

Sponsored Links
Use a clear wood preserver e.g.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...ior+Wood+Care/sd3176/Wood+Preserver+5L/p68513

And then use a shed and fence paint for the colour you desire.

To expand on this.

The clear preservatives will not bind with the timber, and will wash out, the stain you apply afterwards keeps the preservative in the timber, so maintenance of this finish is important.

Don't use anything advertising itself as creosote or trying to look like it, they are not creosote (because that is banned), and are generally rubbish preservatives.

Don't use anything advertising itself as creosote or trying to look like it, they are not creosote (because that is banned), and are generally rubbish preservatives.

Creosote isn't banned, you can still buy it in larger quantities for professional, industrial or agricultural use (i.e. very easily).

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links

Creosote isn't banned, you can still buy it in larger quantities for professional, industrial or agricultural use (i.e. very easily).

Cheers
Richard

/Ban all sheds mode activated = Engage in pedantry.......

It is banned for his use, it is banned for sale to domestic users, and you sould know this, that 'professionals' flout the rules is another matter.

Proffesionals can buy it, minimun of 20 litres, and not for use in domestic situations, I doubt he wants to buy 20 litres.

Plenty of creosote pretenders are sold in DIY sheds, and these are not creosote.

It is banned for his use, it is banned for sale to domestic users, and you sould know this, that 'professionals' flout the rules is another matter.

Proffesionals can buy it, minimun of 20 litres, and not for use in domestic situations, I doubt he wants to buy 20 litres.

Plenty of creosote pretenders are sold in DIY sheds, and these are not creosote.

He might need 20 litres, he says he has lots of sheds ;) he could be a market gardener or a smallholder for all you know.

I fully agree that the creosote subsitutes are a waste of time.

Cheers
Richard

For specific uses in agriculture, it is not to be used for the external cladding of a structure, it is illegal for his intended use no matter which way you spin it.

It's not allowed *inside* buildings. You show me where it's documented that it can't be used externally on agriculural buildings and I'll concede the point.

Cheers
Richard

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

Wood treated in industrial installations or by professionals according
to subparagraph (a) which is placed on the market for the first time or
retreated in situ may be used for professional and industrial use only,
for example on railways, in electric power transmission and telecom­
munications, for fencing, for agricultural purposes (for example stakes
for tree support)
and in harbours and waterways.

Use of treated wood
4.-(1) Subject to paragraph (3), no person shall use treated wood other than for-
(a) a professional or industrial use; or
(b) research and development of analysis purposes.
(a) inside any building;
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), no person shall use treated wood-
for the manufacture of containers intended for the purposes of growing plants or for any retreatment of such containers; for the manufacture of packaging which may come into contact with raw, intermediate or finished products intended for human or animal consumption;
for the manufacture of materials other than packaging which may contaminate raw, intermediate or finished products intended for human or animal consumption; for any re-treatment of packaging or materials referred to in sub-paragraphs (c)
in playgrounds and in other outdoor places of public pleasure;
or in other situations where there is a risk that it may come into contact with skin.

Fencing and stakes, not entire building facade's, and not sheds in domestic gardens.

I'd already read that. It gives fencing and stakes as examples, but nowhere says you can't use it on the outside of agricultural buildings.

FWIW I can take you to several sites within walking distance of my house, where it's been so used. Legally or otherwise.

I'll agree with you that the OP probably isn't involved in agriculture, so none of this applies to him. And our conversation certainly doesn't help him. Or her.

Cheers
Richard

And our conversation certainly doesn't help him. Or her.

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

I'd already read that. It gives fencing and stakes as examples, but nowhere says you can't use it on the outside of agricultural buildings.

It doesn’t say you can't use it on cladding, it doesn’t say you can't use it on anything, it just lists specific uses it can be used for as examples, and general guidance. The guidance being about contact with human skin. The examples giving you an idea of what it is suitable for.

I'm not sure how anyone can read those examples, look a the guidance, and come to the conclusion that a whole building facade is OK.

It would of course have to be tested in court, which way do you think the judgement would fall?

FWIW I can take you to several sites within walking distance of my house, where it's been so used. Legally or otherwise.

I can take you to several sites where the buildings have been constructed in all sorts of manners that contravene all sorts of regulations, what does that prove?

Most people get away with things, until they get caught and suddently whine about the £xxxxxxxx fine and how unfair it is.

It is like winning the lottery, but in reverse.

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

Funnily enough I was thinking of just that image; we must frequent similar virtual places.

I seriously doubt that anyone's usage of creosote has been tested in court, or is likely to be.

I also have no doubt that if a person bought 40 litres of creosote "for professional use" (as anyone can easily do), and blathered it on his shed(s), not only would there be no legal comeback but the person wouldn't die either, unless he made a habit of stripping naked and rubbing himself against it. Possibly there are shed fetishists who do this - 50 Sheds of Grey?

Cheers
Richard

I seriously doubt that anyone's usage of creosote has been tested in court, or is likely to be.

Probably, which is why people even sell it on E-bay.

The chances of getting in trouble are lottery winning odds, likely the courts will severely fine such a person if taken to court because of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back