Installing a 10x6 workshop shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've recently bought a 10x6 T&G workshop shed which needs assembling on to a new concrete base.

When assembled, the shed will have the back and side close to the boundary fence, so I want to make sure its preserved as much as much as possible.

The shed was sold by Tiger sheds and has 'dip preservative', not sure how good this is, certainly not as good as trannalised pressure preservative.

My plan is to spray the outside with Barrettine oil & solvent based preserver or Everbuild Triple action wood treatment available at ToolStation.

Once dry, the shed would then be sprayed with Ronseal Fence Life plus.

I was thinking about placing a damp proof membrane on the concrete base to keep the base dry. Additionally I might add cellotex or similar under the floor to help keep the cold out, also to the inner walls and ceilings.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

The bike will will be used for storage of classic bikes and tools. I'm trying to keep condensation
out as much as possible.

All info welcome.

Sponsored Links
do not insulate under the floor as you need air flow over the timbers
without heat input insulation does nothing other than slow down the averaging temperature
make sure you fit gutters as that will rot the base quicker than anything
and yes felt on top off slate/tiles/bricks /whatever to stop damp transfer

Good point about the gutters, I will add them to the list of work.

My reasoning for adding insulation was mainly because I might do some work in there with an electric fan on to keep warm. The idea being that the shed would warm up fairly rapidly. I accept that once switched off the heat would slowly dissipate.

One worry is that moisture could accumulate and make parts rusty. I guess some kind of ventilation is essential to prevent this?

the heat will quickly dissipate even with the fan heater on unless you fully insulate
i would say you loose least amount off heat at floor level because hot air rises also you have a bit off still air at ground level
your biggest problem is likely to be damp more so iff you put wet stuff in there

Sponsored Links
Agreed, damp is the biggest problem, other than adding a couple of vents either end to help with air flow, are there any other ways of minimizing damp?

Last edited:
I would insulate the roof and walls to try to keep heat in, plus out when it’s summer.
An oil filled radiator, or IR type that heats bodies may work.
You could also use a tube style heater to keep the bikes damp free, using a breathable bike cover.

what construction is your shed [shiplap/txg/waney edge/log]??
if you have windows put them to the sunny side iff possible

Last edited:
Shed is T&G construction and the 3 glass windows are north facing, so not much help with heating from the sun.

Good idea about the tube style electric heaters to keep a low level of heat in. Hopefully one or two of these will be sufficient to keep the damp out and bikes dry.

maybe something like your most important bikes carefully stacked in front off the heater then an old duvet draped on top and down the side to give heat where its needed
you cay the windows are north facing often they can swap sides or ends as the panels are identical

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back