Garden shed/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello forum!

i was wondering if any of you could share your experience/knowledge with me?

I am in the stages of planning and designing my new shed/workshop. It will be one building split into two. (one side general garden storage, bikes, mower etc) and the other a workshop and store for my technical equipment.

My question is... i am going to be laying a new concrete base slab for the shed. but! i want to build the shed directly on top of this base (the stud work fixes directly to the concrete) i shall probabaly manufacture a sub floor for the technical store atleast!

How can i stop water from seeping in from the outside underneaf the stud work into the sheds?

any opinions or fixed ways of doing it would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
you realy need the sides to overlap the base otherwise the water will run down the sides and run accross the concrette
other choices are to lay the joists on the concrette on dpm/felt or better still slabs/bricks topped with dpm/felt and then joists

personaly my shed is on slabs on compressed sand topped with bricks every 22" ish in a grid pattern with3x2" treated joists on felt

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

12x10ft internal size

i did just this a few years back. bolted the frame work to the edge of the slab and use feather edge board to clad the frame. the feather edge hangs over the slab and haven't had any leaks and its been through two winters.

Our summer house floor is soaked.. it stands on one piece of wood alongside the interior floor.. it's built on a wood frame.. why is it leaking? anyone?

Sponsored Links
Our summer house floor is soaked.. it stands on one piece of wood alongside the interior floor.. it's built on a wood frame.. why is it leaking? anyone?
Start a new thread and post some photos (y)

you realy need the sides to overlap the base otherwise the water will run down the sides and run accross the concrette
other choices are to lay the joists on the concrette on dpm/felt or better still slabs/bricks topped with dpm/felt and then joists
This is sound advice from big-all...

The same advice I took from him quite a few years back, and from the picture 15 years on you can see the walls/foundations are still rot free.

Raised base, DPM, and then joists fixed in with concrete screws.

Regular treatment to the shiplap though over the years!

shed.jpg

Only problem I had with the shed was with leaks around the gutter/osb roof, but have now gone for EPDM...

A bit more expensive, but so far from what I've seen I wish I'd spent more back then rather than using felt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back