All sockets with 1 cable entry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit of a weird one...

All the socket outlets (bar two) have only one cable going into them. This is the case for both upstairs and downstairs. The two exceptions are in the dining room and, lifting a loose floorboard, I can see these two are connected with the other cable running off to the two other sockets in the room.

One of the sockets in one of the bedrooms has also been replaced with a four socket extension lead which has been connected into the circuit under the floorboards.

I have checked the CU and the 2 MCBs having two phase conductors running into each of them as if they were ring circuits.

The downstairs circuit supplies a hall socket, 4 sockets in the lounge and 4 sockets in the dining room. The upstairs circuit supplies 4 sockets in one bedroom, one socket plus the extension lead in the other bedroom.

The problem I have is that the socket and extension lead in the 2nd bedroom have stopped working so I found all the above from my investigations into why.

It came up in the survey that the wiring needed to be replaced as it is very old - has anyone come across an old way of wiring sockets that could explain this? Could there possibly be one loop with all sockets connected as spurs through junction boxes? I would rather not start pulling up carpet and lifting boards so thought I would try here first for any help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you sometimes find a house where a ring runs round (e.g.) the first floor, and all the ground-floor sockets are on spurs from the upstairs ones.

But I can't see how your house is done. Maybe there were old sockets in the skirting or somewhere that have been replaced by JBs and spurred off.

If the wiring is very old with not many sockets, they might have been old 15A radials that were converted in some curious way.

Best to start again from scratch!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointers - I guess the only real way to know the answer is to pull up some floorboards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back