All year plants with no sun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm revamping my small little rear yard. I am looking at getting some plants which will be fine outside all year round in Northern England and also plants that don't require much sunlight (if any at all). Likewise, I'm after a few nice climbers that will flower throughout the year to put up.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Having done a little more Googling and spoken to a local supplier, I've now gone for:-

- Sarcococca hookeriana var. digyna (sweet box)
- Sarcococca confusa (sweet box)
- Pulmonaria longifolia (lungwort)
- Pulmonaria saccharata (lungwort)

Lets just hope I've been given the right advice :)

you could also try some ferns, they need little light and enjoy damp.

Interestingly, there are always fern spores in the air, if you dig a small hole in a shady spot, and keep watering it so the bottom is wet and muddy, the damp will encourage tiny fernlets to grow up the sides of the hole, where the damp balance is just right for them. Keep them damp until they are big enough to cope.

You often find them growing under a dripping overflow or leaky garden tap, where it is constantly damp.

I have Fatsia japonica, Skimmia japonica, a variety of ferns, ivy, Camelia williamsii Dination, Pieris forest flame, some grasses (don't remember the names but the label stated that they are suitable for shade). This part of the garden is north facing, with high conifers on the east and south boundaries and a shed on the west side, so it never receives any direct sunlight. I planted them 5 years ago and never had any problems with them. Some bamboos, azaleas, and rhododendrons don't mind shade. And there is a plant called "mind your own business", Latin name sounds like Solierollia solierollii, which is an excellent ground cover and spreads a lot.

Climbers - many clematises can grow well in shade, climbing hydrangeas (both deciduous and evergreen), Fatshedera lizei.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back