Alpha 240P heating but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i,ve had a problem of no hot water but the heatings fine. is it the diverter valve ? if so, where is it ? the light for the hot water does not light nor does the boiler fire up. any ideas please?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Big brass manifold on left with large disk containing large diaphragm facing you. This diaphragm might need renewal. There is a microswitch on front of it. get someone to run tap does the rod push this microswitch? does it click? If not, probably diaphragm. manually open microswitch, does boiler fire?

Changing diaphragm not really diy job.

hi, thanks for the reply. Which valve is it because you have two micro switches one directly in front of you and one further back? It's my sisters boiler so i'm not actually in front of it. is there a way of doing a temp fix to give her hot water until getting the part needed? Thanks

It's the one nearest the front which is larger diameter, the other microswitch and diaphragm sense the flow of primary water, which we know is working because CH works.

You can't bodge it I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul for the advice, it's just that being a builder myself i don't touch boilers obviously due the the regs but it's hard to justify a plumber yesterday charging £110 call out knowing he can't get the part til Monday, £ 96 for the part and £75 per hour ! for what 20 mins work max! no offence to plumbers ! Thanks again for your help.

No offense taken, but the money doesn't work out like that round here. My m8 who is a builder makes far more money than me and has no test equipment to buy callibvrate or repair no money to spend on training or memberships and no notifications to do. No offense to builders intended.

:D Hi Paul didn't thank you for your advice the other day, much appreciated. Sister after all got a plumber friend of a friend to do it for £90 total.so wasn't so bad after all. Cheers once again. Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back