Alpha 240P Hot Water Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems with our Alpha 240P combi boiler, the central heating is working fine however the hot water works only when the boiler has been on and is warmed up from the central heating.

If you turn the heating on and then open a hot water tap the boiler will go out. I have had a look at the valve positions, when the hot tap is opened the front valve actuates a pin and closes the contact on the solenoid. The back valve seems to stay open with the solenoid contact closed.

Once the heating has been on for 5-10 minutes the hot water works normally.

Sponsored Links
Forget about the pin for a momemnt, does the hot water demand light come on, on the front of the boiler when a hot tap is run?

It sounds like some form of blockage to me. Unfortunately I am no expert on alphas. You need Paul Barker to come on he seems to be the Alpha man ;)

Sponsored Links
If dhw diaphragm activates the boiler but tap water only gets warm when heating has alread heated adiotors diverter valve is likely leaching. Needs primary side service kit £30 plus VAT. Probably also needs cleansing of system water.

To test for leaching shut CH flow iso valve run hot tap does it now get hot? yes = leaching.

Paul Barker said:
If dhw diaphragm activates the boiler but tap water only gets warm when heating has alread heated adiotors diverter valve is likely leaching. Needs primary side service kit £30 plus VAT. Probably also needs cleansing of system water.

To test for leaching shut CH flow iso valve run hot tap does it now get hot? yes = leaching.

Didn't realise he needs his blood flushing :LOL:

Why didn't I read this properly and think of the DV. I've changed enough of them :oops:

Yes I have closed the CH flow Iso valve and now the boiler fires up directly the hot water is run.

If ch flow pipe gets hot when only operating for hw then this is the problem ;)

Now you mention it I had noticed that the radiators have been warming up whilst using shower or bath.

Thanks for your help Dave & Paul.

:confused: Hello there, I am having the very same problems with my boiler, i have already changed the diaphragm in the DHW Flow Valve and was wouldering if anyone can tell me where i could get the service repair kit for the primary side of the diverter valve.????? :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back